Thursday 12 July 2012




Who run the world…..Girls

For a while I wanted to write about the gender ratio between men and women in executive positions of companies in our country. You couldn’t imagine my excitement when I came across an article that was exactly about this very subject. Before I start this article I just need to point out that I have no intensions to stir anything up or make waves.

It has been the age old debate of where the woman’s place is in the world. It has always been a blurred vision, somewhere between a house, kids and the work place. I grew up with both parents working, I was never fortunate enough to have a stay at home mom. And that is the reality of today’s times, only a few fortunate families can afford for the wife to stay at home and take care of the household.

Women are seen as the softer, more beautiful and more fragile of the two genders. This I think is the reason that so many people in the world have the idea of only men being the go getters and the ones bringing home the bacon. History has shown this. Men were the gatherers and hunters of our time. This is easily understandable then that this has been how we are meant to think. I beg to differ though, I know a few women that can sling a gun or a fishing rod just as well as any strong burly man I know, heck, even better than me. That said, my fishing skills leave much to be desired.

Okay, so back to the issue of women in the corporate world. Think about it clearly, how many men that you know of have higher positions in the corporate world than women, take it further, have you seen any male receptionists or male PA’s lately, my point exactly.

 Let’s look at the IT industry, Sarita Visser, CIO of FNB Commercial Bank claims that the world is lagging the gender equality curve. This is great news. According to her there is a lot of progress made in breaching the gender equality gap. Even in her work environment they are doing their part towards promoting women. Specific strategies were set in place to attract women in terms of equity targets and targeted development. The right candidates with the right potential are identified and enabled accordingly. They are making a concerted effort to develop and promote these women.

Palesa Sepanya, IS Operations manager for PetroSA, on the other hand claims that decision makers still don’t trust women to be technically capable of leading. She believes that woman should desperately start marketing themselves and to acknowledge their technical abilities. She strongly believes that women should start making noise about their achievements. I strongly agree with her. Well said lady.

From personal experience, one of the founding members of our company is a woman and 19 years on she is still going strong. My mentor and the person that I look up to for advice and guidance also happen to be a woman.  And for the record, I am a man.
Well done to the women who are making their mark in the business world, long live the power of women and thank you for bringing kindness, compassion and beauty to the business world.

No comments:

Post a Comment